Read my blog at Huffington Post

I also blog at Huffington Post's new UK site; please click here to read my posts there.

Monday, 28 February 2011

Signing the Refugee Council's 60th anniversary pledge

My maternal grandparents were German Jewish refugees who came to this country as asylum seekers. To mark the 60th anniversary of the UN Refugee Convention, the UK's Refugee Council (which is also celebrating its 60th anniversary this year) is seeking 10,000 signatures for its 60th anniversary pledge. I have signed and I hope that many other people will do so. Anyone who disagrees with the pledge should think carefully not only about how their own ancestors came to enter this country, but also about what they would do if they or their children themselves had to flee this country seeking refuge from persecution. You can sign here, and the pledge reads:
Refugees have fled war, torture and persecution. Refugees must always be treated with dignity and respect, and properly supported to rebuild their lives.
To mark the 60th anniversary of the UN Refugee Convention, I call on the UK government to ensure that our asylum system is fair, humane and effective, enabling refugees to find a safe haven and a new home here.
I urge the government to show international leadership on refugee issues and to encourage all countries to meet their obligations toward refugees.
I am proud that the UK protects refugees.

No comments:

Post a Comment