Read my blog at Huffington Post

I also blog at Huffington Post's new UK site; please click here to read my posts there.

Sunday, 1 May 2011

Is there anybody out there?

No, I don't mean is there anybody out there reading this blog...In California, the Alien Telescope Array has had its funding cut by 90%. A generation ago, America believed in the search for extra-terrestrial intelligence and that tells you something about the country's confidence in the 1980s. Now it's decided that it's not worth the money - and that tells you that a certain mood of American optimism has arguably passed. These things are cyclical, so I suspect that it will be morning again in America at some point. But not for now.

1 comment:

  1. I'm surprised if anyone thinks this deserves any funding at all in the present circumstance, never mind being cut by 90%. This planet has moe urgent problems to worry about

    ReplyDelete