Read my blog at Huffington Post

I also blog at Huffington Post's new UK site; please click here to read my posts there.

Saturday, 18 June 2011

Lib Dems and BDS

Those of you who read the Jewish Chronicle's coverage of a Lib Dem councillor's failed attempt to spend a council's time (and by extension money, for time is money at council meetings) one-sidedly condemning Israel (as if foreign policy is a proper concern of any local council - get real), may be interested to know where my party stands on the anti-Israel boycotts, divestment and sanctions (BDS) movement. Well, the one time that a Liberal Democrat conference has debated such things was in 2007, when we overwhelmingly passed a motion condemning the proposed academic boycott of Israel. The huge vote to pass that motion (which I drafted - 'drafted' is politician-speak for saying that I wrote it, before it was tidied up a bit by the Local Party that submitted it) says a lot more about my party than do the actions of one local councillor (or more than one local councillor, if any others are now going to emerge and shout "Me too!"). The best guide to where the Lib Dems stand on issues related to Israel/Palestine is this speech by party leader Nick Clegg a few months ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment