Read my blog at Huffington Post

I also blog at Huffington Post's new UK site; please click here to read my posts there.

Thursday, 21 July 2011

Do the British know their own history?

Whilst having my hair cut by a Cypriot barber in Southgate a few weeks ago, we got to talking about Cyprus, and I remarked that most British people today know little or nothing of the Cyprus Emergency of the 1950s and 60s, involving as it did so many British troops. Basically, we British do not know our own modern history, including the bits that reflect less well on us. I thought of this again today upon hearing the news that the High Court has given four Kenyans the right to seek damages from the British Foreign Office in relation to the events of the 1950s and 1960s. If you think that this is far away and long ago, then I would invite you to consider how you would feel if you (or someone close to you) were yourself one of the people who had been tortured, raped or castrated. I'm glad that these people will have their day in court.

2 comments:

  1. Good point. Wait till people find out what the Brits really did to the Arabs in Mandate Palestine between 1936-1939. Far, far worse than anything the Irgun or Stern Gand did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And of course the British government may have an interest in the current (since 1974) dispute not beinng resolved since they want to keep the two bases, Akrotiri and Dhekelia, open for their American friends (at British tax payers expense of course) I hope that I am wrong but I very much doubt it.. sad..

    ReplyDelete