Read my blog at Huffington Post

I also blog at Huffington Post's new UK site; please click here to read my posts there.

Monday, 26 September 2011

Glenis who?

I follow politics and am quite interested in the European Parliament. Well, forgive my ignorance, but, until today, I do not believe that I had ever heard of Glenis Willmott. Who? She is Labour's leader in the European Parliament, apparently. She just spoke at Labour's conference. My never having heard of her surely underlines the extent to which nobody reports what actually happens in the European Parliament. How often does the media tell us what MEPs have done on a particular day? Hardly ever. This means that when people vote in European elections, they often vote simply for whichever party they always vote for. Or they treat it as a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU, or as a chance to cast a mid-term protest vote against the government of the day. What almost nobody does is vote for the people that they most want to be their local Members of the European Parliament, based on the powers that that Parliament actually has. Even for those of you who don't like 'Europe', I would say: If we are going to have a European Parliament, then let's elect its members sensibly on the basis of what they are actually going to do when they get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment