Read my blog at Huffington Post

I also blog at Huffington Post's new UK site; please click here to read my posts there.

Wednesday, 7 September 2011

Tunisian synagogue smashed

As a cautiously optimistic British observer of the Arab Spring, I wish Tunisia and its people well as they travel towards what ought to be democracy, good governance and the rule of law. As a liberal, however, I cannot countenance a situation in which freedom for the majority means smashed windows for minorities. This attack on a synagogue is disgusting. The UK Government has made clear that British aid for the nascent democracies of the Middle East and North Africa is contingent upon those countries' governments continuing to move (with our guidance) in the right direction. That includes respect for the rights of minorities, including Jews. Tunisia's government must uphold the rule of law and things like this must not happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment