Read my blog at Huffington Post

I also blog at Huffington Post's new UK site; please click here to read my posts there.

Saturday, 5 November 2011

Steve Williams' apology

I know nothing about Steve Williams, Tiger Woods' former caddie. He said something (what, I don't know) about Woods that caused a row. He has now said: "I now realise how my comments could be construed as racist. That was not my intent. I apologise to Tiger and anyone else I have offended." Oh, if only everyone who is ever accused of racism could just do the same...Especially as Williams has avoided the weasel words "I apologise if anyone was offended" or "I apologise to anyone who may have been offended" - people always say that when they know full well that people have been offended, so why the element of doubt? The supposed "right to offend" is actually balanced, in an adult society, by a duty to try to be polite and to consider the sensitivities of others. It doesn't seem a lot to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment