Read my blog at Huffington Post

I also blog at Huffington Post's new UK site; please click here to read my posts there.

Sunday, 15 April 2012

I hate Labour's macho anger

In what is quite an interesting story about taxation and charitable giving (http://m.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/apr/14/nick-clegg-charity-tax-cap?cat=society&type=article), Labour's Gareth Thomas (a name that causes much nostalgic giggling among schoolboys of my generation) is quoted as saying: "David Cameron needs to stand up to his chancellor..." What does that even mean? Has Labour got people in focus groups saying that they don't think that David Cameron "stands up" to George Osborne? Is Mr Thomas suggesting that David Cameron wants to change course on tax relief on donations, but cannot do so because it would mean "standing up" to the Chancellor? By all means let Labour disagree with the Government on this. By all means let them call on the Prime Minister to lead a change on this issue. But why mix it up with this very male language about senior ministers "standing up" to each other, which implies that Mr Cameron is not hard enough to disagree with Mr Osborne and that the whole thing is some sort of fight? It isn't.

1 comment:

  1. By the way, when I referred to "Gareth Thomas" being a name that causes much nostalgic giggling among schoolboys of my generation, I was alluding to the actor Gareth Thomas, not the Rugby player.

    ReplyDelete