Read my blog at Huffington Post

I also blog at Huffington Post's new UK site; please click here to read my posts there.

Tuesday, 8 May 2012

Cable: close the Brussels red tape factory

As a Liberal Democrat, I was delighted to read this piece in Tuesday's Telegraph by Business Secretary Vince Cable: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9250947/Vince-Cable-the-tide-is-turning-against-EU-bureaucracy.html Great liberal sense, not widely discussed in the media because it is not a gaffe, not about personalities and not about perceived splits in the Conservative/Liberal Democrat Coalition. I became politically active because I wanted Lib Dems to enter national government and do the sort of things that Vince Cable talks about in this article. For me, that is primarily what politics is all about: the party governing the country so as to improve people's lives. It is possible, colleagues, that I care even more about that than I care about who controls the local council in places in which I do not live...Also in the Telegraph (which I must say that I got free when I bought a magazine at WH Smith, before I am accused of having become a Telegraph reader), a really interesting piece (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9250321/The-final-solution-Dont-believe-the-hype-about-the-housing-benefit-cap.html) in which Andrew Gilligan DOES let the facts get in the way of a good story - worth a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment