Read my blog at Huffington Post

I also blog at Huffington Post's new UK site; please click here to read my posts there.

Tuesday, 26 June 2012

From petrol to pints?

Obviously, as a Vice-President of the Liberal Democrat Friends of the Conservative Party, I welcome the fuel tax freeze (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/9356947/Freezing-fuel-tax-must-be-just-the-start.html). I gather that this is something to do with motor cars - I don't actually drive. But I do get buses and I do depend, presumably, on the overall health of the British economy, not to mention deliveries to supermarkets and any other leisure emporia that I might occasionally patronise, so I am happy to assume that this thing with the fuel tax is the right decision. As I applaud vigorously from the sidelines, my mind wonders towards beer (stop it) - if we can freeze the fuel tax, what about CAMRA's petition (http://www.camra.org.uk/page.php?id=122) on freezing beer duty? I don't like freezing beer, I like bitter to be served at room temperature, but if it is true that the beer and pub industry supports around a million British jobs and contributes £21 billion to UK GDP, then it's got to be worth thinking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment